Scripture Union, Northern Ireland

I’m a Camper

What information do you ask for?

When you apply for a camp, your parent/guardian will fill in an Application Form with your name, date of birth, age, address, school, school year and their contact details (email and/or phone depending on how they want us to get in touch).

Once you have a place on a camp, we will send you a Camp Health and Transport Form.  This will ask for some special data, giving us more detailed information about you, including any food you can’t eat, any healthissues you have and any special needs you have which we might need to be aware of to make sure you have a great camp.  This form is also where your parent/guardian will give us their permission for any special activities or outings, and for how we take you out and about during camp (by bus or minibus or car) and permission for us to take photos/videos which may be used in SU publicity.  This is also where they will give us emergency contact details in case we need to phone someone while you’re at camp.

Why do you need this information?

We need this information to run a great camp – to make sure we have enough places at the camp, to keep in touch with you before camp so you know what to bring etc, to put you into dorms and groups, to make bookings for activities and to work out how we get everyone on outings.  When you are at camp we will use your information to make sure you stay healthy, well fed and happy!  For example, if you don’t tell us that you are allergic to dairy products then you might arrive at camp and discover you can’t eat anything for breakfast, which wouldn’t be much fun.  If we need to phone someone while you’re at camp, then we will use your emergency contact details.

Who do you tell my information to?

The camp secretary looks after all the forms, and the camp leader will use them to plan the camp well.  The camp leader will only share your information with other leaders as necessary.  For example, the camp leader would need to tell the cooks about any foods you can’t eat so you don’t go hungry or have an allergic reaction, and the person in charge of first aid would need to know about any health issues you have (e.g. that you need inhalers) so you stay well at camp.  We don’t share your personal information with other campers or parents.

How do you look after my information?

The camp secretary will keep your Application Forms locked securely until camp is over.  The Health and Transport Forms will be kept locked securely before camp.  At camp these forms will be kept securely but handy, in case the leader needs to contact your parents.

What do you do when camp is over?

Once camp is over and any follow up has been completed, we won’t be doing anything more with your information so we don’t need to keep it any longer.   Your camp secretary will destroy (shred or burn) your Application Form.  Your Health and Transport Form will be brought to the SUNI office.  We don’t use your information any more, but each year’s forms are archived (that means stored for a long time in a secure place) because the people who provide our insurance cover ask us to keep these records for many years.  Unless there is a legal reason to do so, they will not be looked at again.  We keep them locked in the office, and then about once a year they are taken to a place called Morgan Document Security (for more information on Morgans see our Third Parties section) to be stored securely for at least 50 years and then destroyed.


This site uses cookies to improve your experience while navigating through it. By continuing to browse, you agree to the use of cookies described in our Cookies Policy. You may change your settings at any time but this may impact on the functionality of the site. To learn more see our Cookie Policy.